I recently had a “stop the world – I want to get off” moment. This was when I heard on the news that a certain government somewhere in the world was considering legalising currently illegal drugs because research hasn’t adequately shown that these drugs can be harmful, and fighting against illegal drug use isn’t worth the effort anymore.
I then imagined what that country, and on a larger scale, the world, would be like if leaders of corporations, governments, banks and industries were under the influence of mind-altering drugs. Clearly the world would very quickly descend into utter chaos, and the hope of living a decent peace-loving life would cease to exist.
It is obvious that at the smallest level of society – the family structure – drug abuse leads to family break-ups and a broken generation of children. This should be enough evidence that these substances are nothing but destructive and should disappear from our world.
This is not the only thing though that makes me want to get off the world sometimes – there are countless situations in society today that put an ever increasing void between us and God, to the point where He will allow terrible suffering to come upon the whole world. (After which will be the return of His Son Jesus Christ and the establishment of God’s perfect Kingdom where all mankind will finally have the opportunity to learn about His laws and way of life that works!)
But, as a mother I am most passionate about the family structure and what we adults do to our dear little children. Here is what I think needs to happen:
- The love of money and physical possessions should NOT come between parent and child – Mothers should STAY HOME with their children, and do without the coffees out with friends, the frequent trips to the hairdresser, and all the selfish perks that require money which in turn requires a two person income which in turn leads to you paying someone else to raise your child.
- A child needs consistent love, attention and education from both parents. Don’t stick them in front of a screen for entertainment because you can’t be bothered making the effort to involve your child in your activities, or stopping your activities to draw a picture or finish a puzzle with your child. In fact, don’t use screens for entertainment full stop. Go outside instead. Be active, lively, interesting. And watch the joy in your child’s face.
- Don’t do or say anything that you don’t want your child to copy. Think hard about this. We have rebellious children today because we ourselves are rebellious to authority. We have selfish unthankful children today because we ourselves are selfish and unthankful. We have greedy and dishonest children today because we ourselves are greedy and dishonest. Do we like to see all these characteristics in our government leaders? No. We are the leaders of our children, so let’s behave in a way that we want our children to behave.
- Be patient. They are just children! Not mini-adults. They are innocent and curious. But be sure to give consistent, kind discipline to guide children in the right direction as they walk the path of discovery.
- Finally, we as adults must LEARN from the children. A new baby is the epitome of purity. It is untainted by evil. It relies totally on its parents to take care of it. It finds joy in the smallest of things and is a receptive vessel just waiting to be filled with knowledge. Are we, as adults, like these little children? Are we dependent totally on our Father in Heaven? Are we pure? Are we untainted by evil? Are we receptive to being filled with everything our Father has to teach us? It is essential that we adhere to the instruction in the first 5 verses of Matthew 18 which states “At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven? 2 Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, 3 and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.”
If we don’t do this, then this world is going to further descend into a godless society where those who desire peace will not find it. We will not be able to hide from war, disease, corruption, famine. These times will come on the whole earth and without God’s intervention mankind will destroy itself and our dear little children who are innocent will suffer because of our stubbornness to ignore the teachings of our Father in Heaven.
So, learn from the little children and choose to love and obey our heavenly Father as we desire our children to love and obey us. Please!